Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gambateh!

Ever since I started working, things have changed from ultra busy to very free sometimes. For the entire August I was bombarded with implant surgeries almost everyday or prosthetic procedures once in a while. Overall it was a very busy month. The momentum however, is moving towards plateau. Not that there is nothing else to learn anymore, but just that they are now expecting something from me already. Like how to arrange appointments with doctors and etc.

For people who work in the sales line, it is always not a good idea to stay in the office for too long, because your job is to get sales for the company. Meeting clients and building a better relationship with the clients are much more important than staying in the office. As according to my senior, September is a low season as this is the month of Ramadan and Hari Raya. Most of the people will not choose to operate their mouth during fasting and festive seasons. Therefore when there are less surgeries on hand, the next thing to do is clinic visit or to arrange appointment with doctors.

Being a newbie I have to admit that there are still a lot of difficulties for me. Manager is advising me to follow my seniors more often, no matter what they are doing. Either case discussion or even delivering stuffs to the dental lab, etc. Of course being a freshman I am eager to learn as much as I can and hope that I can get use to my working environment as soon as possible. But sometimes human is just human.

There are times when my seniors refused to bring me out. They said they are not doing something important. Sometimes the excuse could be as lame as this: "I don't want you to wake up so early, that's why I didn't tell you about the morning appointment lor". As if if he didn't call me, I don't have to go back to the office in the morning.

Somehow I see the other side of human nature. Being in the same line doing the same thing, we are competitors even if we work under the same company, covering different areas. Because when working, performance is the one that matters. Regardless of your academic background, employers assess you based on how you perform and your capability to contribute to the company. That is one of the reasons why most of the time they don't want me to follow when they have appointment for case discussion. Because the soft skill of how to deal with doctors is much more important than the technical skills. Human are self-protecting beings. I understand.

But, I am not giving up. Not now. Dad was asking if I am learning something from this job. Else may as well don't waste time anymore. Maybe it would be better to look for another job. I know he is worrying about me. Like I have to travel alot and stuffs like that. But to me now, I am at the steepest point of the learning curve. This is the time to learn, to explore and even to get hurt or to get sacked. Because it is through experiences that I can become better and smarter. Learning is a gradual process, it takes a lifetime. Therefore at this point, I am still motivated and wish to learn as much as I can.

A quote from my friend Sharon,

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe".

P/S: I miss him... =P

No comments: